Happy Canada Day, eh!
As a Canadian, my heart swells with pride today on the 148th birthday of my great nation.
As the friendly neighbors in the Great White North, we are a larger land mass (not that size matters) with way less population than our southern big brother.
As I nosh on pancakes and maple syrup while drinking my ‘double double’ from Timmys, I present my list of the top 20 signs you might be a Canadian:
- You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.
- You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
- You say “eh” after every sentence.
- You pray to the god of Stanley a few months every year, and frequently discuss how American hockey teams are filled with Canadian boys.
- Bob and Doug McKenzie are huge celebrities.
- You call your friends “Hoser” or “Hose-Head” while drinking beers.
- You know that a “Premier” isn’t a movie debut.
- You know all the words to “If I Had a Million Dollars” by The Barenaked Ladies.
- You know what a toque is.
- You remember when Alanis Morissette was “Too Hot to Hold.”
- You drink pop, not soda.
- You design your kids’ Halloween costume to fit over their snowsuits.
- When speaking of the last letter of the alphabet, you say “zed” not “zee.”
- You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade.
- Your family pets are named “Wayne” and “Gretzky” (or “Gordie” and “Howe”).
- You know that “The Hip” is one the greatest rock bands of all time.
- You know what poutine and Beaver Tails are.
- You always hum the theme song of Hockey Night in Canada, and you have seen the jingle bring tears to a grown man’s eyes.
- You know where the saying “Stay fit and have fun” comes from.
- You crave Tim Hortons coffee as though it is crack.
Happy Canada Day to all my Canuck brothers and sisters!