Any Catholic school kids out there?
Although I’ve left the religion, I have many fond memories of the private Catholic school I attended in my Canadian small town.
If you have a similar background to me, perhaps you can relate to the following 16 signs of a past Catholic school student…
1. You wore the same clothes every day — year after year.
2. So you felt like a rebel when you wore flashy socks.
3. The name of this school seems completely legit to you — not creepy at all.
4. You were taught by sisters and brothers — and we’re not talking family members.
5. The school gym is where you received communion, cheered on basketball games AND got groped during school dances.
6. Although you were best friends with Italian kids, they were not allowed to sleep over at your house.
7. You have the same friends since kindergarten.
8. Making a crucifix in shop class was a life skill.
9. You have been a sheep, shepherd, or angel at least once in your life.
10. You stressed over your upcoming confession, and inevitably always said, “I fight with my brother/sister.”
11. Being raised open-minded was not always in the curriculum.
12. Neither was sex-ed, so you learned that in Seventeen magazine.
13. You never got the answers to these questions.
14. Instead you were referred to this book.
15. So you went a tad wild in the college years.
16. And even if you have left the religion, you still have guilt about not going to Mass (and you secretly miss the music).